Saturday, October 6, 2012

Bannann Peze

I have had plantains a few times in Haiti, and I haven't really liked them.  The texture, I think.  But it seemed like an authentic Haitian meal would not be complete without them.  So I bought 3 of them for $1.50 at Hannaford (a cheap experiment).  These things are really hard to peel.  Steve and I struggled but we did it (2 adults vs 3 plantains should not have been so hard).  This is from A Taste of Haiti.

Bannann Peze
1 plaintain
1 cup oil (I used canola oil)

Peel the plantains.  (It sounds so simple.  Cut 1 inch off each end.  Stick knife into skin and make one long cut from end to end, making sure you are not cutting into the plantain.  Remove skin by placing knife into the incision and dislodging skin from one end to the other, one inch at a time, until you have removed the entire skin.  Scrape the threads from the plantain with a knife.)

Cut plantain into 1 inch chunks.  Heat oil over medium high heat and fry plantains until they are lightly browned on each side.  Remove from oil and place on cutting board.  Using a broad solid spatula (if you don't have a Haitian plantain press, which I do not), press down on each piece (cut sides up) so they spread out.  Put back into oil and fry for 1-2 more minutes, or until golden brown.  Serve with sos ti-malis (or with salt and ketchup, if you are Americans in Haiti).

Yeah, so I still don't like them.  But Gessie and her son ate them all up.  Steve ate them, too, and told me they tasted just like the ones in Haiti.  So I was happy that I made them, because they were a hit.  The hardest part was peeling the darn things, once that was done the rest was easy.  And I was so happy with how they looked, exactly like the ones I have eaten there.  So if I am doing a Haitian meal again, I will include these, even though I won't eat them again myself.

No comments: