Sunday, October 28, 2012

Skillet Pork Hash

This is supposed to be a one dish meal, but I don't have an oven-proof skillet, so it was not as easy as they said.  But that's not really their fault, I guess.  I've never had or made hash before.  I have heard of some people having "corn beef hash" but had/have only a vague idea of what that is.  I remember my grandfather eating something out of a can that he called "hash" that looked disgusting.  So there was nothing in the title of this recipe that made me want to try it.  But the ingredients sounded yummy and the recipe sounded simple, so I decided to go for it.  This is from Back of the Box, and it's a recipe submitted by the National Pork Board (of which I hope to never be a member), so nothing specific that they want you to buy, except the pork.

Skillet Pork Hash
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb boneless pork loin, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
16 oz pkg refrigerated cooked, peeled, and diced potatoes (I used half of a bag of frozen cubed potatoes, aka hash browns)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/3 cup chicken broth
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (omitted by me)

Heat oil in large ovenproof skillet (or just whatever skillet you have) over medium-high heat.  Cook pork 3-4 minutes, until slightly brown.  Stir in potato, onion, green pepper, garlic, broth, thyme, salt, and pepper.  Cover, lower heat, and simmer for 8-10 minutes.  Place skillet under broiler (first transfer to an 11x7 greased baking dish if you don't have the ovenproof kind of skillet) 4-5 inches from the heat source.  Broil until surface of hash is crisp and golden brown, about 2 minutes.  Sprinkle with parsley.

This definitely did not look very appetizing.  Hardly any color to it, except from the green pepper.  It smelled okay.  And ultimately it tasted okay, too.  You can't really go wrong, I guess, with meat and potatoes, and it didn't have any weird sauce.  But this recipe was just "fine," not great.  Not yummy.  Also, not keeping..

No comments: