Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Caramel Apple Pork Chops

I almost passed by this recipe because it calls for spinach, and I'm no Popeye.  But I kept looking at it because the rest of it sounded so good.  So I subbed green beans for the spinach and made this for supper tonight.  It came out so. so. good.  It's from Simple & Delicious.

Caramel Apple Pork Chops
4 bacon strips, chopped
4 boneless pork chops
3 small apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
4 tsp brown sugar (I may have added a bit more...)
1 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 pkg (6 oz each) fresh baby spinach (I used 2 cups of frozen green beans from Steve's friend's garden)
3 tbsp chopped walnuts, toasted

Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp.  Remove to paper towels to drain, reserving 3 tsp drippings (I didn't measure I just eyeballed this).  Cook pork chops in 2 tsp reserved drippings in the same skillet over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.  Remove and keep warm.

Saute apples and onions in 1 tsp reserved drippings in the same skillet until apples are crisp-tender.  Stir in the brown sugar, butter, salt, cinnamon, and pepper.  Add broth; bring to a boil.  Add pork chops.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer 4-5 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 145 (that seems low...mine was 160ish).

Remove chops to serving platter; let stand for 5 minutes.  Meanwhile add spinach to skillet and cook until wilted (I left the pork chops in the skillet and added the green beans to the skillet, recovered and simmered another 5 minutes).  Sprinkle with bacon and walnuts.

Yum.  Perfect fall recipe.  This is going to replace another pork chop and apple recipe I have in my keeper book because this recipe is way better.  Definitely will make this again...

No comments: