Saturday, October 20, 2012

No-Bake Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

My friend and faithful New Recipe Night blog reader posted this cookie recipe yesterday that she made for their home fellowship.  She said they ended up tasting too healthy and more like a breakfast cookie than a dessert one.  I knew nobody but me would like these at my house, because I am the only pumpkin lover; nobody else here is even a pumpkin liker.  She got the recipe from another blog, chocolate-covered katie.  I try to never cover myself in chocolate, or any substance for that matter.  There are too many implications, and possible consequences, such as ants and husbands.  Anyway that's the name of her blog.  Here is the recipe.

No-Bake Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

  • 3/4 cup quick oats
  • 1/2 cup oat flour (or make your own by blending oats in a food processor until they become powder. Measure after blending)(I did this with my mini Tupperware chopper)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 cup xylitol or sugar (or coconut sugar or sucanat)(I just used white sugar)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional: a pinch pumpkin pie spice as well)(which I did add, about 1/8 tsp)
  • optional: handful mini chocolate chips (of course I added these)
  • 1/3 cup canned pumpkin (or sweet potato puree)
  • 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons milk of choice, as needed
  • 1 tablespoon oil (omit if you desire, but I can’t vouch for the results)(I used olive oil)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Combine all dry ingredients and stir very well. In a separate bowl, combine all liquid (including pumpkin). Then stir to combine, and form into balls or cookies. Or put in the fridge to firm up a little before forming cookies.

I put mine in the fridge for 20 minutes after mixing before forming into balls, and then for about 30 minutes after before I was ready to sit down and eat one.  They were still pretty soft, didn't really hold together like a typical no bake.  But I would say they were good!  Definitely not dessert-like, though.  Like a cold pumpkin granola bar.  But it is perfect with my coffee!

No comments: