Thursday, October 11, 2012

Cilantro Lime Corn

We had this with the Smothered Burritos that I just posted.  This sounded like it would be a good side dish for a Mexican meal, which we have fairly often.  We could have had beans and rice with this, because we had some Haitian ones left over, but we are pretty riced out right now.  This recipe came from Back of the Box Cooking, and the thing they want you to buy is Birds Eye corn.  But I bought Great Value corn.

Cilantro Lime Corn
3 tbsp butter
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 tsp black pepper
pinch salt
1/4 cup diced onion
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (I left this out, I think for obvious reasons)
1 lb bag of frozen corn, thawed and drained (I used 2 cups frozen and I didn't even thaw it first)

In a saute pan (small skillet? I used a saucepan) combine butter, lime juice, cilantro, pepper, and salt.  Melt over medium-high heat.  Add onion and peppers and saute until onion is transparent and pepper is soft.  Add corn and cook until heated through.  Serve as a hot side dish or with chips as an appetizer.

Easy.  But I didn't really like it.  Too many flavors, I think, especially the lime juice.  I like both lime and cilantro very much, but I guess I don't like them together.  Or on corn or something.  Maybe I would like it better as a dip for tortilla chips, which I love, if it didn't have the competing flavors of the burritos or other Mexican dish.  However Steve & Andrew both really liked it, and Andrew wants the recipe, even.  So that is a success, even if it isn't a keeper.

No comments: