Monday, October 22, 2012

Chicken Mozzarella

This looked like a really easy recipe, and I only had to buy the tomatoes.  Which is exactly what they wanted you to buy.  So they got me on this one, too.  But I did buy generic.  But this recipe was a cheap one to slip into my meal plan since I always have chicken in the freezer and I almost always have some remnants of pasta laying around from other recipes.  From Back of the Box Cookbook.

Chicken Mozzarella
6 oz bow tie or penne pasta
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (I used 6...I'd rather have leftovers than barely enough)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
1/2 cup fresh sliced mushrooms (omitted by me)
1/2 tsp crushed dried rosemary or basil (I used basil because it seeemed more Italian-y)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions;drain.  Meanwhile, season chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.  Brown chicken about 4 minutes on each side.  Add undrained tomatoes, mushrooms, and rosemary or basil.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5-10 minutes or until sauce is thickened and chicken is 160 degrees.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Cover and let stand for 2 minutes.  Serve over pasta.

We had this with garlic bread on the side.  Depending on what pasta you use, this recipe could be gluten-free, so I put it in that category, too.

So, since it used a can of diced tomatoes and no other liquid, the sauce wasn't really very saucy.  The kids picked around their tomatoes, and without that it was just like red water for sauce.  Despite that, it was tasty.  Everyone at least ate the chicken and some of their noodles.  Probably we should have had a vegetable with this, but we didn't.  I looked back through my keeper book and saw similar recipes to this with better sauce options, so I decided not to keep this one.  But I did like how easy to make and easy to buy for it was.

No comments: