Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Scrumptious Cheddar Bacon Scalloped Potatoes

I was planning on making this for supper tonight anyway, and to have it with one of those salad-in-a-bag things.  But then all of a sudden I heard there was a fellowship potluck at church tonight before the service, so I decided to make it and bring it there instead (minus the salad).  I love bacon, and potatoes.  This is from Back of the Box.  I am almost done with this cookbook, which my mom gave me for Christmas last year...just in time for another one hee hee.  They want you to buy evaporated milk for this one.  And I did it.  I think it is somewhat presumptuous to have the word "scrumptious" in your recipe title, because it might not be. 

Scrumptious Cheddar Bacon Scalloped Potatoes
2 to 2 1/2 lbs (about 6 medium) potatoes, unpeeled and thinly sliced
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
1 cup water
6 slices turkey bacon, cooked and chopped, divided (I do not buy turkey bacon...I bought good old Hormel Black Label pig bacon)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
2 green onions, sliced (I forgot to buy these)

Place potatoes in a large saucepan.  Cover with water; bring to a boil.  Cook over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes or just until fork tender; drain.  Meanwhile, heat butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.  Stir in flour, salt, and pepper.  Gradually stir in evaporated milk, water, and 1/3 cup bacon.  Cook, stirring constantly, for 8-10 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil.  Remove from heat.  Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and the green onions (if you remembered them).  Layer half of potatoes in a greased 3 quart microwave safe dish.  Pour half of the sauce over potatoes.  Top with remaining potatoes and remaining sauce.  Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bacon.  Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Normally I would not microwave these, but I happen to have a covered micro cooker that I got for free when I hosted a Tupperware party last year that I have barely used, and so I was happy to be able to use it for this purpose.  Plus it is my favorite color and looks nice on the table.  So I did put it in the microwave.  It's only for 2 minutes anyway.

I only got a small portion of these, because it's a potluck on those plates aren't that big.  But I thought they were really really good.  The potatoes were so tasty, and the cheese sauce was perfect.  And I love bacon.  Definitely one I will make again.  There was nothing left in the bowl after dinner, so that is always a good sign...so I have to admit that they were scrumptious.

No comments: