Thursday, October 11, 2012

Smothered Burritos

We had this last Sunday when Steve's oldest (by length of time known, not by his age) friend was visiting from NC.  It was easy to throw together, and I pretty much knew we would like it.  I have another recipe (Garlic Beef Enchiladas) kind of like this that is fabulous, but it takes a long time because you make the sauce from scratch.  So this seemed like it would be a quick easy thing to throw together.  We had this with Cilantro Lime Corn, which I will post separately.  This one is from Simple & Delicious.

Smothered Burritos
4 10-inch flour tortillas (I had 6 8-inch ones instead)
1 lb ground beef
1 can (10 oz) green enchilada sauce
3/4 cup salsa verde (I couldn't find this this time at Walmart so I used regular salsa-my fave is Pace)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used shredded Mexican cheese, and I used more than this, probably closer to 2 cups)

Combine enchilada sauce and salsa in a bowl.  Cook beef over  medium heat in a large skillet until no longer pink; drain.  Stir in 1/2 cup sauce mixture.

Spoon beef mixture evenly onto tortillas; sprinkle each with about 3 tbsp cheese.  Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up.  Transfer to a greased 11x7 baking dish.  Pour remaining sauce over burritos; sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake, uncovered, at 375 for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.

I don't know the difference between enchiladas and burritos.  These seem more like enchiladas because they have a sauce over them.  But I'm no Mexican expert.  Whatever you call them, these were very yummy.  Everyone liked them, except Nathan.  It's already in the keeper book...

No comments: