Saturday, October 6, 2012

Griyo

Several months ago, I showed my A Taste of Haiti cookbook to our Kreyol teacher, Gessie.  She said I had to make something for her out of it.  I agreed, and then I forgot all about it.  But she didn't!  A few weeks ago, she asked when I was having her over for Kreyol food.  So it was this past Thursday.  I wanted to make yummy authentic Haitian food for her.  We had Diri ak Pwa (posted in September under Beans & Rice), Griyo (which is "pork bits"...I like Griyo better), Bannann Peze (Pressed Plaintain, which I will post separately), and Sos Ti-Malis to cover it all.  A delicious 4-course meal.  I wanted to make dessert, but I ran out of steam.

Griyo
4-6 lb pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch cubes
2 limes, cut in half
4 tbsp pikliz (posted a few months ago)
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 cloves
1 onion, sliced thin
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 thyme sprig
1/2 green pepper, sliced thin
2 shallots, sliced thin
2 cups sos ti-malis

Wash meat in cold water.  Clean meat with lime halves and rinse with water again.  In a large bowl, marinate meat with pikliz, salt, pepper, cloves, onion, garlic, thyme, green pepper, and shallots.  Marinate at least 1 hour.

Transfer all contents of bowl to a large skillet and simmer on medium heat for 40 minutes.

Transfer to a greased 9x13 baking dish.  Cover and cook at 375 for 1 hour.  Uncover and cook for another 30 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve with rice, bannann peze, sos ti-malis, and pikliz.

So so good.  Easier than the Haitian poultry recipes I've tried, since most of the cooking time is in the oven and you don't have to worry about turning it over or if the sauce is getting too thick.  This was fabulous, 5 adults, 3 kids, no leftovers.  Gessie assured me it tasted authentic.  I think she was serious.

I also just added a "Haitian food" label, so all the Haitian recipes will be in one place and easy to find.  Right now there are only 9 recipes.  But as you can see, when you make a Haitian meal, you need like 5 of them between the sos and the pikliz.  It will definitely make it easier for me in the future  =o)  I'm not sure if any of you will make any of these...but tell me if you do!

No comments: