Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Beef Tenderloin Stroganoff

We had this for supper last night.  The last time I made a stroganoff-type recipe, I didn't like it at all.  The sauce had way too much sour cream and tasted weird and had a weird texture.  It also might have had mushrooms, I don't really remember, except I remember I didn't like it.  But when I saw this recipe, the picture looked yummy, and it only has a little bit of sour cream.  And there is beef broth, which I thought would make this be more like beef and gravy over noodles.  So we tried it.  Emma helped with a lot of it, so that was fun, too.  From Simple & Delicious.

Beef Tenderloin Stroganoff
2 tbsp flour
1 1/2 lbs beef tenderloin, cut into thin strips (I couldn't find this exact cut...I ended up buying tenderloin steaks and cutting them into strips...maybe that's what you were supposed to do anyway, I don't know)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp paprika
salt to taste (we used 1/2 tsp)
Hot cooked noodles

Place flour in ziploc bag; add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat (I just threw mine all in at once and it was fine).  Brown beef in oil and butter in large skillet over medium heat (it didn't say to drain here, so I didn't, but I wished I had...).  Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low.  Combine sour cream, tomato paste, paprika, and salt in a small bowl (all done by Emma); slowly stir the mixture into the skillet (do not boil).  Cook, uncovered, over low heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently.  Serve with noodles.

During that last part, there was this film of oil/grease all around the edges.  I tried to spoon some of it off but didn't have much luck with that.  When I served the food, I just took from the middle of the skillet rather than the edges...

The kids all liked the meat.  I didn't really care for the sauce.  I guess what I was hoping for was more of a salisbury-steak-type sauce, rather than a stroganoff-type.  It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't very good either.  I think both in this recipe, and in the Ranch-Marinated Chicken recipe that I just posted, I have a mental block against the sour cream.  Even though there was hardly any in this one, it was swimming in it in the other one.  Maybe I have more of a sour cream phobia than I thought.  Steve took the leftovers of this stroganoff to work today.  Hope it was good.

No comments: