Saturday, January 26, 2013

Roasted Lime Chicken

I love lime.  And we all love chicken, especially the little one.  So this one looked good and yummy, and something different, but not TOO different.  From Simple & Delicious.

Roasted Lime Chicken
1/2 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp minced fresh parsley or 2 tsp dried parsley flakes
2 tbsp minced fresh rosemary or 2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
2 tbsp minced fresh sage or 2 tsp rubbed sage
2 tbsp minced fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 roasting chicken (6-7 lbs)
4 medium limes, cut into wedges

Combine first 9 ingredients in a small bowl.  Cover and refrigerate 1/4 cup marinade; pour remaining marinade into a 2 gallon ziploc bag.  Add the chicken.  Seal bag and turn to coat.  Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.  Drain chicken and discard marinade.  Place lime wedges inside cavity.  Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.  Place chicken breast side up in a shallow roasting pan.  Brush reserved marinade over chicken.  Bake at 350 for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180, basting occasionally with pan juices.  Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.  Let stand 15 minutes before carving.

This was a big disappointment.  There were no juices to baste with.  I had a 6.5 lb chicken.  At 3 hours of bake time, at 6:30 at night, the meat thermometer still wasn't reading 180.  We usually eat at 5:00-ish.  I had checked it multiple times.  I gave up, pulled it out of the oven, hacked off a bunch of the meat, and threw it in the microwave to zap it to doneness.  Also, despite the name, it didn't taste like lime.  It did smell like lime, a little bit, when it was cooking.  But no limey flavor at all.  So not worth it.  I do have a bunch of meat left for a chicken pot pie type recipe that I'm making in a few days.  I hadn't planned on using the meat for that purpose, due to the lime.  But since that is not an issue, that's my plan.  That is the only good thing about the recipe.  I do realize that I am biased against it, since I was really hungry and it wasn't done when I wanted it to be.  And since we don't eat the skin, which would probably have added to the lime flavor.  But whatever, what's done is done.

No comments: