Friday, January 4, 2013

Sweet 'n Sour Sausage Stir Fry

This was a quick easy meal from Simple & Delicious that we had this week.  It has smoked sausage in it, and no matter what else I add to it or do with it, the kids will at least always eat the sausage.  I really really like smoked sausage, but we don't have it too often because I know it's not good for you.  But if I have a coupon and a yummy-sounding recipe...

Sweet 'n Sour Sausage Stir Fry
14 oz pkg smoked turkey sausage (I used regular) cut into 1/2" slices
2 small onions, peeled, quartered, and separated
1 cup shredded carrots
8 oz can unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 to 1 tsp ground ginger (I hate spice ranges...I used 3/4 tsp)
6 tbsp water
2 tbsp soy sauce
Hot cooked rice, optional

Stir fry sausage in large skillet for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned.  Add onions and carrots; stir fry until crisp-tender.  Drain pineapple, reserving juice.  Add pineapple to skillet.  Combine reserved pineapple juice with cornstarch, ginger, water, and soy sauce until smooth.  Add to skillet.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.  Serve over rice if desired.

So yummy and so easy.  A little heavy on the onions maybe, but I didn't mind that.  We'll keep this one, even though there are probably 3 others like it in my keeper book already.  I just love smoked sausage.

No comments: