Friday, January 4, 2013

White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies

This is in my Top 2 Favorite Cookies category.  I love the store bought ones (like at Subway, for example) that are so greasy they leave spots on the napkin.  Other recipes I have tried at home have not tasted nearly as good.  The dough hasn't been quite right.  But I decided to try this one just to see, and I think it's right!  The super secret ingredient is shortening.  It's so bad for you.  But it makes this cookie perfect.  Only make it if you love delicious cookies.  Anyway the nuts for this recipe cost $7 so it's not like you're going to make it very often anyway, so you don't need to feel bad about the shortening.  This is from the Southern Living Christmas cookbook but I made them even though it's January. 

White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 6 oz pkg white chocolate baking bar, cut into chunks
1 7 oz jar macadamia nuts, chopped

Beat butter and shortening on medium speed of electric mixer until soft and creamy; gradually add sugars, beating well.  Add egg and vanilla; beat well.  Combine flour, baking soda, and salt and add gradually to creamed mixture, beating well.  Stir in white chocolate chunks and nuts.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto lightly greased baking sheets.  Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool slightly before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

I made these for home fellowship tonight, and I thought they were great.  I think it's more of a grown-up taste preference though, because I brought home about 1/3 of them.  They just couldn't compete with the 2 packages of Oreos that Stephanie brought.  I made them the exact size of the Pampered Chef medium scoop and got 3 1/2 dozen, but they didn't spread much during baking.  Next time I will use more dough per cookie and flatten them out some before baking.  Definitely keeping this recipe now that I've found it!

No comments: