Thursday, January 24, 2013

Cheesy Onion Focaccia Bread

I made this last night and brought it to the potluck dinner we have before Wednesday night service.  It's always risky bringing a new recipe somewhere, but I've made similar things in the past so I thought it would be okay.  From Simple & Delicious.  This starts with frozen bread dough, which I still have an abundance of from that time my friend gave me some, but I'm sure you could make your own dough if you are so inclined.

Cheesy Onion Focaccia Bread
2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
3 tbsp butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp brown sugar
1 loaf (1 lb) frozen bread dough, thawed
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used a bit more)
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Saute onions in butter in large skillet until tender.  Add the garlic, italian seasoning, and brown sugar; cook 2 minutes longer.  Pat dough into 10-inch circle on an ungreased 12 inch pizza pan.  Build up edges slightly.  Make indentations at 1-inch intervals with a wooden spoon handle.  Top with onion mixture and cheeses.  Bake at 425 for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.  Cut into wedges and serve warm.

So I only got a tiny sliver of this, because I cut the pieces so small, but it was very tasty.  I loved the sweetness of the onions.  I wasn't sure about cheddar cheese on a pizza-type thing, but it tasted great.  For me, this was a cheap recipe because I already had all of these ingredients.  So I will definitely make this again, and bring it nowhere, so we can eat  more of it.

No comments: