Monday, January 21, 2013

Nutty Butter Brownies

Not sure why these are called that.  They do not contain a popular cookie by a similar name, Nutter Butters.  They don't have an excess of butter.  They aren't that peanut-buttery as the recipe is written.  They do call for nuts, which I didn't add, but that just makes them nutty brownies, not really buttery.  But anyway, this is the other recipe I made for home fellowship last Friday.  From the $5 Dinner mom cookbook.

Nutty Butter Brownies
4 oz semisweet baking chocolate, chopped (I didn't chop it)
1/3 cup butter, softened (I didn't soften it)
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips, divided
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup mixed nuts, chopped (omitted...I used peanut butter chips instead)

Preheat the oven to 350.  Grease and 8x8 inch pan with cooking spray.  In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate, butter, peanut butter, and 1 cup of the chocolate chips on high for 1 1/2 minutes.  Stir until chocolate is melted.  Whisk in the sugar, vanilla, and egg to the chocolate mixture.  Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.  Whisk until batter forms.  Fold in remaining chocolate chips and mixed nuts (I didn't add extra chocolate chips, just the peanut butter ones).  Pour into prepared baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick comes back clean.  Let cool slightly before cutting and serving.

So these weren't as good as the mocha ones.  I only had 2 squares of semisweet chocolate after making the mocha brownies, so I had to use 2 squares of unsweetened.  I found online that you can use those in the place of semisweetened, and add 1 tbsp of either honey, corn syrup, or molasses for each square.  So I used corn syrup.  I would have just used more granulated sugar but I used all that up, too (I had to go to the store on Saturday to stock up on everything...).  I'm not sure if the addition of that threw everything off, but these never looked done.  They were in the oven for a while.  My friend Barbie was here, and she was like "take them out, they're going to burn..." I have learned to listen to her sage cooking advice, so I took them out, and after they cooled the edges did look rather crusty.  But they didn't have that nice top to them that brownies usually get.  When I licked the spoon for this batter, it didn't taste sweet enough.  It was fine, but not as sweet as brownies typically are.  Anyway this one I'm not saving.  But I'm glad the mocha ones were so good.

No comments: