Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Cobre Valley Casserole

According to my reputable geographical source, Simple & Delicious, Cobre Valley is in Arizona, and is Spanish for "copper," which is mined there.  And, apparently, variations of this recipe have been delighting families in that valley for many years.  So there is no copper in this casserole, despite the name.  It sounded yummy and Mexican-ish, which of course I really like.

Cobre Valley Casserole
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
1 envelope taco seasoning (I buy mine in bulk, so it's 1/4 cup if you do that)
1/4 cup water
2 cans (16 oz each) refried beans
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 green onions, sliced
1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped (I used picante sauce)
1/3 cup sliced ripe olives (omitted)
1 1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips

Cook beef, onion, and celery over medium heat in large skillet until meat is no longer pink; drain.  Stir in the taco seasoning, water, beans, and chilies (this is when I said to myself, "Nathan won't eat this...").  Transfer to a greased 11x7 inch baking dish.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30 minutes or until heated through.  Top with cheese, green onions, tomato, olives, and chips.

Okay so now that I've made and eaten this, I would like to suggest an alternate name: Bean Dip You Make In The Oven.  That's exactly what this is.  Except for the celery, which is just confusing.  This was bean dip, and it was good.  But it certainly wasn't what I had pictured in my mind.  I was thinking it would be more like shepherd's pie filling, but Mexican.  So it tasted good, but it just felt like an appetizer.  I'm not keeping this recipe because I already have a good recipe for something like this that you put in tortillas and make wraps with.  And it doesn't have celery.

No comments: