Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Dutch Potatoes

I've never heard of potatoes being made like this, but they sounded so yummy when I read this recipe (in Simple & Delicious).  We had these with the ranch chicken recipe I just posted.  I'm not sure if the "Dutch" means Holland-Dutch or Amish-Dutch.  Or the kind of Dutch when you go on a date and each person pays for themselves...

Dutch Potatoes
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tsp butter
2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
1 cup sliced fresh carrots
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp salt
minced chives

Saute onion in butter in a small skillet for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.  Meanwhile, place potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan and cover with water.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.  Drain.  Mash potatoes and carrots.  Beat in the onion, sour cream, and salt.  Sprinkle with chives.  2 servings

We had this with the chicken recipe I just posted.  I liked these potatoes way better than I liked that chicken.  They could have been a bit creamier, but I wouldn't want to achieve that by adding more sour cream.  Maybe a bit of butter.  This was the perfect amount of potatoes for me, Steve, and Emma (my parents had the boys).  Next time I make it I will probably double it.  And add more salt.  Very yummy.

No comments: