Saturday, January 19, 2013

Tamale Pie

Mexican two days in a row?  Yes, if I want to, we do it.  This recipe is entirely made in the microwave.  I have an awesome microcooker thing from Tupperware that I don't have occasion to use very often, so when I saw this recipe I wanted to make it just based on that.  Isn't that a silly reason to make something?  I also knew we would like it...If a recipe had fish or mayo in it and you made it in the microwave, I definitely would not make that recipe.  But in these circumstances, it seemed like a good one to try.  It's from Simple & Delicious.  We have had tamale pie before that was meatless and made with lentils.  That was pretty good.  I don't think it had a cornbread topping but I don't really remember because someone brought it to us as a meal after my surgery, and so many things from that time are a blur.  I remember us all eating and liking it though.  I may have made it myself since then, too, I don't really recall.  But anyway, as usual I digress.  Here is the recipe.

Tamale Pie
1 lb ground beef
1/4 lb bulk pork sausage
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 can (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes, drained
1 can (11 oz) corn, drained (I used 1 cup frozen)
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1/4 cup sliced ripe olives (omitted)
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 pkg (8.5 oz) corn bread/muffin mix
Dash paprika
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Combine beef, sausage, onion, and garlic in a 3-qt microwave safe dish.  Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes, stirring once to crumble meat.  Drain.  Add the tomatoes, corn, tomato paste, olives, chili powder, and salt; mix well.  Cover and microwave on high for 4-6 minutes or until heated through.

Whisk egg in a large bowl; add milk and corn bread mix.  Stir just until moistened.  Spoon over meat mixture; sprinkle with paprika.  Microwave, uncovered, oh high for 14-16 minutes or until toothpick comes back clean.  Sprinkle with cheese.

Everybody liked this.  The meat filling was very tasty and not spicy at all.  The cornbread was a bit...maybe...rubbery?...around the edges...not sure how to describe it, but about what you would expect baking a bread in the microwave.  So that part wasn't fabulous, but not bad enough to not eat it, and not bad enough to not make the recipe again.  Easy and tasty, and I'm sure we'll have it again.

No comments: