Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Four Hour Barbecue

Two of the cookbooks my mother in law sent me for my birthday have the recipes broken down by month.  That is very pleasing to my organized self.  This is the only one I have marked for January out of the Southern Living 2000 Annual Recipes (I am assuming here they mean the year 2000, and not that there are this many recipes contained therein).  My mom also gave me a great new cookbook for Christmas that I am starting this week, too...my proverbial cup runneth over  =o)

Four Hour Barbecue
3 lb boneless chuck roast, trimmed
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cups water
1 cup ketchup
2 small onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Brown roast on all sides in hot vegetable oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat (oh the fat spattering!).  Stir together all remaining ingredients and pour over roast.  Bake, covered, at 325 for 4 hours.  6-8 servings.

This made the kitchen smell great all afternoon.  The meat was very tender.  The difficulty of the meat chewing is Emma's biggest beef with eating meat (HA! Get it?) and when she saw Steve cutting hers, she said "ooh, that looks easy to chew."  Nathan wasn't a huge fan and had to be encouraged to eat his with a bit of mashed potato so it would "be easier."  We ate about a third of this tonight, and out of what's left we gave half to Grampie and kept the rest of it for us to eat this week.  So even though the roast was like $11, we are getting a lot of use out of it, and the other ingredients were very inexpensive.  It's been a long time since we had a roast, so it was a yummy change.
 


No comments: